Today marks the first day of resuming training after a month and half. Much time were spent on review: slow flight, the stalls, and emergency procedure. However, the highlight must be “We are going backwards!”
Here is how it happened. After we practiced emergency procedure(more on that to come), we departed greenwood lake and climbed up to 4500 ft, where we knew from previous descending that the wind up there was really really strong. I set up a slow flight straight from climbing configuration by dumping flaps, take out power, which turned out was harder than I thought because I couldn’t operate on flaps and throttle at the same time. Then bob took it over and slowed us down to like 30 kts which I don’t understand how it was possible without stall the airplane (I guess we had lots of power?) But the story here is that because we have such a strong head wind, our ground speed is nearly ZERO! We were floating like a helicopter, and I glanced outside, and saw that we moved backwards as trees underneath moved forward. Bob then said “There is no reverse but you can go backwards”.
Now more serious stuff. I think I had a good run today given that I haven’t flown for a month and half since my parents were in town. We planed a couple times to bring them flying but each time the weather did not cooperate. So off runway 22 @ N we took off as a soft field take off practice. And normal procedure to the practice field, my pre-maneuver checklist LCGUMPPS was good, and clearing turn was done. The slow flight was still great like last time, but the first power-off stall recover was not so great. I let the speed built up too high, so we tried again and this time much better.
Still having little trouble with power-on stall. It was the break that I have some trouble with. The ruder input too, i was not sure if I had enough or not. I will review and practice this more if we have chance.
Then we practiced lost procedure. Wasn’t aware that we were actually closer to Warwick, I turned to head to Greenwood Lake for the field. Given that we were almost at 5000 ft, we thought yeah maybe we can make it even though we were 8 miles away. However, headwind was giving us a huge problem and our ground speed was around 30-40 kts. The glide path got chopped short. With help of some power we stretched to make the runway and successfully landed on runway 24. I should have put in wind correction angle earlier since it was pushing me to the left of the runway. Was I right to wait I get to the runway center line and then crab? I got ask this question tomorrow.